Thursday, July 6, 2017

Bolt-on Macpherson Strut Project:

Pic: Stefan Ruitenberg
Hello there!

People who may know me will know I am easily inspired, by a lot of things. My latest project stems from Porsche 911 race car and Mustang/Civic BTCC race cars too.

The project entails a bolt-on subframe which houses a fully optimised suspension system, as shown above. In cheaper series of racing, I have seen it is easy to disassemble the suspension, but this takes a lot of time, so I hope my design can reduce that.

For now, I have used Porsche style Macpherson Struts as a form of damping the movement through the tyre contact patch. But this will change to a heave spring along with a third element. Which is more ideal for UK club racing.

So far, I have made my model for the rear end of a Caterham 7 kit car, But I want to make a concept to fit a Radical SR1 etc.

I also want to make the files completely open-source, so you could even manufacture the assembly, as I can't do that currently.

For now, I will motor on with the Solidworks CAD file, and try to improve my model via FEA, of which will be displayed on my blog.

This is also non-academic, so I see it as using my time well, before I go back to university.

No comments:

Post a Comment