Monday, February 5, 2018

2018 IMechE Pipe Climber challenge


Pic: Stefan Ruitenberg
Hello, how are we?

As part of my course, I have designed a device for the IMechE's 2018 challenge. An internal pipe climber device. And before I explain it, this is my first concept, where testing is due very soon. So keep a lookout on here, for updates!

So, the design revolves around a chassis (red) which sees two DC motors (yellow) mounted in the middle. The output shaft has a pulley (purple) at the end, which goes to an axle at the top of the chassis. The drive is done via two elastic bands.

The battery (pink) is mounted at the bottom for the moment, all is left for this design is to model the wires from the battery to the motors.

Below you can see the device going up the pipe, where I learned how to do simulations. And amazingly it worked. The next stage of the project is to finish building the live model.  My biggest issues now are having enough tension from the elastic bands that it overcomes the coefficient of friction from my big drive wheels (green). To add, the torque from the motors must be greater than Mg (mass x gravitational force) which usually is 9.81.

Ill comment on how well testing goes very soon. But for now, back to some maths.

Pic: Stefan Ruitenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment